(It seems like nothing I do is going to help get this baby out any faster. Including cartwheels.)
Well folks, it is July 16th. One day after my official due date. Unfortunately, I didn't get very good news at the doctor's office yesterday.
Apparently, the baby's head is about 4 centimeters higher than it should be right now, which is leading my doctor to believe that this baby has gotten too big to fit through my pelvis. This could mean a c-section on Friday. I blame it on the Ives family curse: Huge heads.
Nathan has the largest head of anyone I know. He has never been able to find a hat that fits him. Even adjustable baseball hats are too small for him on the largest setting. We were at Cabella's a few weeks ago, and Nathan tried on one hat of pretty much every style... still nothing.
Also, all but one of the Ives grandchildren has had to be delivered by c-section. They come out like little bobble-head dolls. Since I myself do not carry Ives blood (nor the Ives' other curse, the dreaded septated uterus), I thought myself free and clear. But, it's not looking that way. It appears that Nathan's genes have dominance in this case.
The plan is to induce on Thursday night over night, and then assess what happens by Friday morning. If things are not going well and the baby still hasn't dropped, they will do a c-section. Awesome. (not)
Yesterday when they told me, I went out to my car, called my sister-in-law Renae, and bawled like a baby. She had the exact same thing happen to her with her first baby. I am not scared to have a c-section, I am just really disappointed that things might not go as I imagined them to. I know it is a little silly, but I've always dreamed of giving birth the normal way, with Nathan beside me coaching me and experiencing the miracle that is the whole process of childbirth. Now, I feel a little robbed that I might not be able to have that.
There is still a chance that everything will go fine, but I'm not holding my breath. I hate having my hopes dashed twice.
Either way, as long as I have a healthy baby to show for it, that is what matters. How she gets here is pretty irrelevant in the whole scheme of things, I guess. I just need to adjust my expectations. And, it looks like I am going to have a whole extra week to do so.